Saturday 14 May 2011

Making good use of the things that we find....

This is the last day of my blog where I am outlining the five ways to well being and how they relate to transitioning. If you want a scientific approach to the five ways and transitioning then read 'the great transition'..The last 2 of the five ways are as follows:

Keep learning
Learning increases confidence and if you follow your heart it can be fun too.

There are loads of ways to learn. You can do a course. Next week is adult learners week and there are free taster sessions all over the county. My flatmates mother is going to teach me to crochet. Mark and Charlotte from the heart and soul transition group taught me to forage (apparently opening your parents fridge and taking what you want does not count).My mother taught me to knit many years ago and is now teaching me to be 'in the moment'. The transition movement has taught me that its ok to be addicted to oil and that you can live a different, slower and more fulfilling life. Along the way you will need new skills but they are fun to learn.

Wombling is a new organization that ‘makes good use of the things that you find’. They will collect old stuff from your house and they are also planning some courses in how to mend stuff. An important skill in preventing landfill. My brother has always been able to mend stuff. Here he is at Easter mending a video machine.

Taking on a new challenge or just having a go and not worrying about failing can teach you loads. I did a stand up routine at a party before Christmas. It was an amazing thrill and I left on a complete high.

The other day I made a new discovery by asking a simple question-

‘Does anyone else have to flush those new water saving toilets at least twice?’

I was rewarded with the knowledge that in this case there is nothing weird about me or my waste products.

Give
Do something nice for a friend or a stranger.
Thank someone. Smile. Volunteer your time. Join a community group.
Look, out as well as in. Seeing yourself, linked to the wider community can be incredibly rewarding and creates connections with the people around you.

People get a bit freaked out when you just give them stuff. But its fun trying. You may have heard of the free hugs campaign. It travelled all over the world and then to Norwich. In this YouTube video you will see some of the transition Norwich folk giving away free hugs at Christmas. Of course physical contact its not everyones cup of tea and you can give in other ways. You can give someone your time by helping them with something. Next Friday I will be talking about the Magdalen street celebration which is a massive giving exercise. People give their time and expertize to make a massive fun day out.

So just to recap on the five ways to well being with an example. lets get active by walking to the pub to connect with our mates, we may learn a new song, and then I will take notice while you give the barman the money for my drink.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff Helen! And if folk want to know more about learning opportunities in Norwich - informal, or otherwise -, then check out the 'Norwich Community Learning Champions' site on the link, below (and feel free to use the Google map on the sidebar too)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the Wombling mention, much appreciated.

    We're also in the process of finding premises, funding applications are being made, but if anyone knows of a corner of a barn somewhere in or around Norwich that we might be able to use...

    Thanks again,

    Karen
    Wombling CIC

    http://www.wombling.org.uk

    ReplyDelete