Thursday 11 November 2010

Autumn - A rotting time of year

At this time of year, nature gives us a lesson in recycling. All those leaves falling to the ground are stores of nutrients being returned to the earth to be slowly released to feed the seedlings that will grow next year. The fungi that work unseen to break down dead wood, now send up their fruiting bodies.

Nothing is wasted and the cycle can continue for ever - evolving over time to become more sophisticated. We can learn a lot from trees!

Autumn is also a time of harvest and I'm still munching my way through a stock of apples and pears.

On cold nights I shall be thinking about the hedgehog that nested in my flower bed. This did not seem very secure or dry so I have made a cover for his nest and packed it with extra leaves. I look forward to seeing him in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment